Thursday, August 27, 2009

Build Your Wardrobe Autumn 2009

I am participating in Kate's (http://curiositys.wordpress.com) "Build Your Wardrobe - Autumn 2009" and having great fun sewing some new clothing and bags for my own wardrobe. Long overdue! I have been so into crochet and knitting lately, it's actually a pleasure to sew again. One of my favorite pattern books is the Burda Fashion Magazine. I started buying it every month earlier this year and find it of great value. In each magazine there are at least 5-7 patterns I like and that makes it very cost-effective too. The price of the magazine is equivalent to two individual patterns.
This dress in the May issue has been on my mind for a while now! Isn't it fabulous? Wish I can find pink jersey fabric like this. I decided to make the top version of this dress first to ensure the sizing is correct before I attempt the dress.
Here is my first attempt. I made this one as a test using jersey fabric I've had for a while now and did not like so much anymore. Wow! I love this style! I have a cleavage without the help of a WonderBra! So I made another one...

Love this fabric. I bought it at Hobby Lobby in Chicago earlier this year and have already made another top from it that I don't like much. I used a plain black jersey fabric for the band and I think it looks great. Next I will attempt the dress. I have already picked out the fabric and will make it this weekend. Watch this space for more projects to build my wardrobe!

6 comments:

jacqueline said...

Sounds like fun project! I wish i could sew like you...would be so cool to build my very own wardrobe! I love the top you made...so lovely and that dress is gorgeous...i hope you make that one too! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Jana Nielson said...

Love...Love....love that top!!! I have got to give that one a go. I love how it fits, and you have such a cute figure to go in it!

Unknown said...

i just love your tops... i just started sewing, am a total beginner and i just realised how much badly i want to sew everyday :)
You should start sharing patterns for someone like me. :)

Kate said...

Wow, the tops look great! I am so glad that you will be participating, and I cant wait to see what else you make!

sewkalico said...

Wonderful! Love your tops. That pink dress would be glorious!!

Jesse said...

Burda is great! My mom's been buying them for years, she made all our clothes from them. You'll find as your collection builds that it's also fairly easy to mix and match bits from different patterns, because the sizing is consistent and because they seem to use a few basic styles often.