Friday, September 18, 2009

Japanese crochet

I am in love with Japanese crochet patterns at the moment! I think everyone has seen this link to some fabulous free Japanese crochet patterns by now, but in case you have not, here it is: http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/gosyo/new/bag.htm. Use the Google translator to find even more treasures on this site!

I have been intrigued by this bag pattern since the first time I saw it! I had to try it and I loved the colours. So in between cooking and e-mails, I have been working on it every night this week.
Last night I was determined to finish it. What I love most about the Japanese patterns is the simplicity of it and the amazing shapes! Of course, mine came out a lot bigger than the one in the pattern so I spent quite a bit of time trying to correct it. I had such difficulties reading the pattern as it refused to print larger.

Ta-da! I am really pleased with the final result though! I had a hard time deciding on handles. The original pattern has thin leather handles, but it just did not look right on mine. I even considered bamboo handles, but in the end opted for crocheted handles. I like it. I love using a slip stitch method to attached bag parts rather than needle and yarn. Looks so much better and is easier to do.
As part of the Build Your Wardrobe challenge of Kate , earlier this week I also made this pink gingham peasant blouse. This fabric has lovely embroidery on it. I bought it at Hobby Lobby in Chicago this year. I am a bit miffed because my DH commented that it looks like a "picnic tablecloth"!
A close-up picture of this lovely fabric. I must make a bag as well! I also finally finished sewing the black dress I have had in my mind for ages. I plan to add a white crocheted collar to the dress, so I will post next week when I have done this. My crocheted fabric top from Crochet Adorned is also on the table for this weekend. Hope you all have a great crafty weekend!

1 comment:

jacqueline said...

That is a gorgeous bag! My favorite by far! Really sooo pretty and i love the colors. You made another lovely top! Really nice pink gingham peasant blouse. :) Have a lovely merry happy weekend! Love to you!