Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sew Simple Inspiration!


I ordered a few magazines from Sewing District in November last year and after a bit of a battle, the magazines finally arrived yesterday! I am so thrilled as there are several projects in the Sew Simple No. 11 magazine that I have been dying to try out.


You mentioned "skirt pattern" and I am right there! This from someone who a year ago, owned one dress and two skirts! Now I own far more skirts than pants. Love these ideas for a skirt with 3 variations on a frill. Funny, this style skirt has been in my mind for a while now, I just have not done it yet.



This is another style I have had in my mind for a while now. It is sort of like an overdress or tunic that you can wear over knit tops. I had a tweed dress like this with lovely buckle detail on the shoulders, but it is MIA. I have some lovely dark grey stable knit fabric that would be perfect for this style dress. I started last night to look at my patterns to see if I can use parts of other patterns to draft a pattern for this dress. I have some lovely plum and pink tweed fabric that I bought for a skirt that would also look good in this style...

This issue also focus on fleece, how to sew with fleece and an owl softie pattern as well as a lovely scarve pattern is provided. I have plenty of fleece in marvelous bright colours that will come in useful soon.

I originally purchased this issue of Sew News because I thought this office set was adorable! I have subscribed to Sew News since then and I find the articles very useful even if there aren't many projects inside.

I went on a book-buying spree recently...Last week I ordered Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing, Betz White's Sewing Green and Wendy Mullin's Sew U Homestretch. It will only arrive next week but all these books had rave reviews all over blogland so I am sure I will enjoy them. Of course this week I ordered a few more books...

Still doing research on how to use my new serger. Time has been a bit limited lately but I hope to start on a small project this weekend.

On another note, I am fast nearing my 100th post on this blog so I have been thinking about a give-away. I have some lovely traditional African fabric in my stash and maybe some local craft magazines to add to that. This will happen in the next week so keep watching!

3 comments:

Daljeet said...

I'm a sucker for sewing books and magazines myself :) My favourite is Burda WoF for all the patterns given free with the mag, but sadly, it's not available here and subscribing to it is too expensive with the current exchange rates....someday...sigh!

Thanks for visiting my blog :) I do look forward to seeing what you make of that blouse pattern!

Meream said...

It's kind of strange how the love for skirts and dresses take you by surprise, huh? I used to own more than a dozen pair of jeans but when I discovered skirts and dresses, I've stopped buying jeans! :)

sewing the seeds of love said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog today ! Yes, very easy to fall in love with making skirts and they are so EASY to wear...love how you have made bags in matching fabrics too.