Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Storage and...bags?

During my quest to organize my closet, I bought this lovely magazine at our local news agent...

I just love the BHG magazines. Lovely pictures and great ideas, just like their website. Whilst browsing for storage ideas, I spied this...

Yes, I like the gorgeous pink chair, but look what is on the chair! And this...
Lovely pink cushion, but what is on top of it? This was enough to let me forget all about closets and storage! Do I ever NOT think about sewing? I hauled out some of my home dec fabrics and this is what I made...

It started off as the green leave bag on the pink chair and sort of morphed into a pleated bag with side pockets. A lot bigger too. The pockets came from the second green bag. I put knitting needles in the pockets to show it off. Love this fabric! It was the last piece in the curtain department at Fiona's and was rather expensive. I have been saving this fabric for ages. The bag is not finished yet but I love it so far. It is not lined, same as the bag in the picture, but the fabric is very sturdy and this is meant to be a casual bag.
I am also on a mission to make some fabric grocery bags. I am collecting far too many plastic bags! (and fabric too!) Here are a few that I have cut out from sturdy, home dec fabrics so far...


Just need to sew them. Some more of my home dec weight fabrics I plan to use for grocery bags, including the lovely grey fabric I used for the bag above.

I think some of these might morph into other type of bags too. Love the feel of home dec fabric! I do have some stunning Amy Butler home dec fabrics too, in lovely orange and some grey and blue and brown. Hmm...

5 comments:

sewing the seeds of love said...

Lovely bag...you do become very easily distracted, don't you ? hehehe

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Enjoyed reading your blog today. I am still finding my way around blogland....I always love making new friends..I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by. Commenting automatically puts you in the drawing for the June giveaway.

Kate said...

I LOVE that grey bag you made...especially the front pleat detail!

Jesse said...

I love this bag! The side pockets really make it special - and they'd be really useful too.

sewkalico said...

I have that lotus fabric the second bag is sitting on and I HAD the red and black dot fabric too. I like fabric almost as much as bags ;-)