Monday, March 23, 2009

It's a bag weekend!

I was adamant that this weekend will be more productive than the last one. So, after finishing my Mystery Bag I started planning my weekend projects. Of course, there were several bags I wanted to make. First on my list was another metal frame purse. I managed to salvage quite a few nice frames last week, but I cannot get the RIGHT design in my head. This continued the whole weekend. In the end I decided to make something else until I get the design sorted out. So I made this delightful bag.



I saw a picture of this bag on one of my favorite blogs http://nicoledesign.blogspot.com/. Nicole is an amazing bag designer! Her metal frame purses are different from the usual you see on the internet. In a few words, I would describe her designs fresh and new. This bag is one of her patterns called the "Flat Bag". I saw a picture of it on her blog and made my own pattern.


I just love everything about this bag. As with Lola's Mystery Bag, it plays on the contrasting fabrics and shows it off so stunningly. I have a variety of bamboo, bead and wooden handles I bought last year and never used. This is actually my first bag using these handles.

I bought this new home dec Amy Butler fabric from an Etsy shop at a great price recently and have been keen to use it. It goes so well with this bright orange moda fabric I bought locally. How clever to put the magnetic snap just below the handles. I did forget to add pockets! At least it has a large outside pocket. I also love the effect of the covered buttons on the outside pocket.



I then decided to make another bag with this pattern. This is a fun, pink bag for a colleague at work, Cindy. I promised her a bag months ago! This delightful brown fabric with the pink butterflies and flowers was a gift during a Swap I participated in last year. Fabulous fabric! It goes so well with the pink polka dot fabric. This time I did remember to add pockets inside. I also added some velcro to the outside pocket.

More views of the pink bag showing some fabric detail and the placement of the magnetic snap. It is well worth paying a visit to Nicole's blog and shop for inspiration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW pink i love your weekend bags! The red one is soo cute and i love the fabric you used! Is soo fun to see you make such goodness! I hope one day to be able to make a bag for myself with my little sewing machine! Your an inspiration to me! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Gay McDonell said...

HI, I'm also a big fan of Nikki's work - she is so inspirational! Your bags are great - bright and fresh - I like that!