Monday, March 30, 2009

Sew Darn Cute, by Jenny Ryan

A few of my friends have asked me to post a review on this book as they are considering buying it. To be honest, I saw a few pictures of this book on blogs around the internet and decided on a whim to purchase it. I was very disappointed at first when I received it and just put it on my bookshelve. A few weeks later I picked it up again and I must admit, I love it now. I have made several projects from the book and plan to do a few more soon!


The book is divided into 5 sections: Pretties; Totables; Nest; Kid Stuff and Crafties. All yummy projects that are easy yet very effective. The first section, Pretties, consist of personal items such as a hairband, a cuff, jewelry and even sewing a few pieces of fabric to your clothing. Really simple, but nice.

Being a bagaholic, this section is one of my favorites! It includes several cute totes with fresh embellishment ideas.
Like this cute pillowcase purse made with denim fabric, a repurposed pillowcase and cute ric-rac. Really a simple project with great results.
A firm favorite, the "Ladylike Laptop Tote". I adore yo-yo's! This is such a cute bag. It is on my list!
The next section is called the "Nest" and this covers simple projects for your home. Projects include coasters, curtains, etc.
This project is on my list. A very cute way to embellish your dishcloths with ric-rac and fabric.
The "Kid Stuff" section is not really very useful to me with bibs, embellishing baby clothes and a doll blanket, but I do like the snake (can be used as a doorstopper) and the teddy!

The Square Bear, also featured on the front of the book, is really cute!

The last section, Crafties, is more my cup of tea! This includes a pincushion, needle book and a few other cute projects.
Like this cute Craft Apron with many pockets. On my LIST!
And a very pretty sewing machine cozy!
Overall I would recommend this book to other crafters. It has some cute little zipper bags in and of course, the travel pillow that I have already made. Quite a few new, fresh projects that I have not seen in other books. The patterns can be found in the back of the book, but some must be copied and enlarged.

2 comments:

Jana Nielson said...

I have been wondering about this book. I hate to buy a book, and be really disappointed by the projects. I think i might give this one a look!!

Lova said...

Thanks for the review, you are right the projects look all lovely, I am already thinking of making similar kitchen towels and may even sell some in my etsy shop.